Bolinas-Stinson School: From the Beginning
January 4 - June 15, 2014
Curated by Elia Haworth
A school is an important sign of community values. In the 1850s when Bolinas was just a settlement of loggers, sawmill workers and homesteading ranch and farm families the first attempts were made to provide a school. Local settlers believed in the importance of education for both boys and girls and by 1862 they succeeded in building a one-room schoolhouse with one teacher for all grades.
This exhibit highlights some of the history of Bolinas-Stinson Union School and more than 150 years of determination by community members to provide students with innovative education in a safe and creative school environment.
This exhibition also touches on the exuberant activism of parents, teachers and the community to produce a wide array of educational programs including the school’s award winning Art Shop Program.