Longley Blacksmith Shop and Garage Annex
This photograph represents a transitional time in history when automobiles were replacing horses. Oliver Longley built this blacksmith shop and family residence in downtown Bolinas in 1909. A blacksmith was an essential service for a community, from building wagons to repairing household items. As automobiles began making their way over rough country roads to Bolinas, always needing repair, Longley added an auto garage. Eventually he transformed the black smith shop into the garage that served cars until 2004. The building is now owned by the Bolinas Community Land Trust.