Thaddeus Welch (1844 - 1919)
Along the Bolinas Shore
This painting depicts the east side of Bolinas Lagoon, long before there was an all-weather road. Cows from a nearby dairy, descendants of Spanish cattle, roam at the edge of the water as evening light colors the hills.
American landscape painter, Thaddeus Welch’s greatest artistic legacy are luminous paintings of Marin County. Welch first came to San Francisco in 1866, joining the city’s burgeoning art scene. Later, after years of art training in Europe and painting internationally, Welch came to Marin with his artist wife Ludmilla. In 1896 they built a cabin in Steep Ravine above Stinson Beach and from there they explored and painted the beauty of the Mt. Tamalpais watershed and the coast. The Welch’s were regular visitors to Bolinas and often strolled down Wharf Road with their friends. Even after moving to Santa Barbara for his health, Welch continued to paint Marin’s coastal landscape that he knew so intimately. Much of his early success came through Bohemian Club exhibitions. Today, both Thaddeus and Ludmilla Welch are valued as exceptional artists of early pastoral California.
This acquisition was made possible thanks to the living bequest of Beth and James Wintersteen and additional support generously provided by Johanna and Tom Baruch, Susie and Mark Buell, Susan and Richard Idell, Adrienne and Jack Ladd, Barbara Ravizza and John Osterweis, Sandy and Billie Magid, Donald Bird and David Young, Daphne and Robert Bransten, Sara Brody and Robert Gailey, Marilyn Burns and Jeffrey Sellon, Terry and Ralph Camiccia, Katherine and James Kirkham, Leslie and Hal Kruth, Heather McFarlin, Aggie and Walter Murch, Wayne Poulsen, Dieter Tede, and an anonymous donor.