Gertrude Southworth (1862 - 1946)
First Communion, St. Mary Magdalen Catholic Church, Bolinas
Built in 1877 on land donated by Gregorio Briones in 1863, this church still sits on its little hilltop, serving its congregation every Sunday. Gertrude Southworth caught this moment of girls dressed in white communion dresses, men in traditional suits, and women with their great hats. Today trees tower over the church, but at the time of this photo the church had a sweeping view of the Bolinas Lagoon and the Bolinas Bay.