Gertrude Southworth (1862 - 1946)
Turn on Wharf Road
Wharf Road was the center of activity for the whole area from the days of logging in the 1850s to the 1930s. Business revolved around the schooners and boats commuting between Bolinas and the markets of San Francisco, sometimes 15 a day. On the left we see the saloon that was turned 90 degrees in 1935 and is now the Bolinas Museum. Across the street, is the house built by Captain Morgan for the bartender in 1851 when he built the Schooner Saloon next door. At the edge of the lagoon, the white building is a summer boathouse towed from San Francisco Bay to serve Mr. Parkin’s family after his rambling Flagstaff Inn fell into the lagoon in the 1906 earthquake. The building in the foreground was a warehouse built by Captain Anderson for his schooner business. It is now a home near the present dock. Note the bare hillside in the background before it was planted with trees.