Gertrude Southworth (1862 - 1946)
Perch were once abundant here and fishing for sport and dinner was a popular past time. This richly detailed photo shows women and a gentlemen standing at the rose covered gate of the Gibson House garden watching men pose with their catch, attended by children. The Sayers’ bought the Gibson House after Mr. Gibson died and Mrs. Sayers ran it as a hotel while her husband ran the livery stable. The dirt road, bordered by the wooden sidewalk gives a hint of what it was like when the main street seasonally alternated between dust and mud.
The taller building in the background is the recently rebuilt Bolinas grocery store, which reopened in 1908 after the 1906 earthquake destroyed the original store constructed for J.C.Gibson. Horse-drawn buggies and men wait outside. The smaller building to the right of the grocery is Longley’s meat market that eventually became the famous Tarantino’s restaurant, which then burned in 1973. The site is now the town park.