Gertrude Southworth (1862 - 1946)
Motoring Up from Gospel Flat
In 1911, the horse and wagon stage that had run between San Rafael and Bolinas since the mid-1800s was replaced by a motorized stage. Operated by Langford and Crane, the Stanley Steamer seen here climbing Finney’s Hill toward town served as the Bolinas Stage. Behind is Gospel Flat, so named for the three churches that were built near the school in 1877. Later, two of the churches were moved into town, but here on the hill in the distance you can see the Catholic Church, which still serves it’s congregation today. The small house on the left belonged to Juana Briones, daughter of the first pioneer family of Bolinas. The larger structure is the Druid’s Hall built in 1879. Beyond is the Bolinas school. To the right of the road is the Pepper home and farm. William Pepper and his sons built many downtown houses and were responsible for moving the Presbyterian Church into town in 1895. Nearly obscured by brush in the lower right is the Francisco farmhouse, which later burned to the ground. Today the Francisco dairy barn located behind the house, but not visible in this photo, is now used for many special events and gatherings.